Forward this article to a friend   Print version   Increase font size  Decrease font size 

How to Complete Your Gift

If you have the physical securities:
  • Hand-deliver them to us; or
  • Mail us the stock and stock power separately.
If you don't have possession of the physical securities:
  • Instruct your broker to electronically transfer your intended shares.
  • Ask your broker to notify us once the transfer is complete.
Quick TipQuick Tip
If you own stock you wish to keep, consider donating it and then using your cash to buy the same stock through your broker. This way, you'll have a new, higher cost basis in the newly acquired stock.

Learn how to transfer stock to Saint Peter's University.

Please note: The steps above are for donating publicly traded stocks you have owned for more than one year that are worth more than when you first purchased them. If you have stock losses:
  • Sell the stock yourself to realize the loss and take any allowed deduction for tax purposes.
  • Then generate a charitable deduction by donating the cash proceeds of the sale to SPU.
Other Charitable Options
You can also use stock to fund a charitable gift that provides you with life income (such as a charitable remainder trust) or leave us stock in your will or living trust. Your legal and tax advisors can help you determine whether one of these options is right for you.

Have a Question?
If you have questions about your tax deduction, your tax advisor can help you determine the exact amount of your deduction for a gift of stock. Please contact Ana Cravo at 201-761-6104 or if you have questions about donating stock to Saint Peter's University. We're happy to help, without obligation.

Your Next Steps
Getting Started | Is This Gift Right for You? | Case Study | How to Complete Your Gift | Action Items

Copyright © The Stelter Company, All rights reserved.

The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For legal or tax advice, please consult an attorney. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to estate and income taxes apply to federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.