Life Changes...So Should Your Estate Plans
As the years go by, your circumstances and wishes will probably change—and so should your estate plans. It is smart to conduct a review every few years or after any significant life event. Neglecting to do so could have devastating effects for your family and friends.
Reasons to Review Your Estate Plans
- Significant change in the value of your estate
- Relocation to a different state
- Change in professional or business relationships
- Death of a beneficiary or personal representative
- Your will and living trust. These basic documents inform your personal representative and trustee how to distribute your assets after death. They should be reviewed every three to five years.
- Durable power of attorney. This designation allows you to name someone to conduct financial matters on your behalf in case you become ill or disabled later. Confirm your selection at the same time you review your will and living trust.
- Health care power of attorney and living will. A health care power of attorney allows you to designate another person to make medical decisions if you are incapacitated, and a living will deals with end-of-life situations. Update these documents if your relationships with the people you have chosen change or if they predecease you.
Tip: By including family members in your estate planning process, they will more likely understand, respect and support your decisions.
|Our free guide can help you locate your important documents.|
Copyright © The Stelter Company, All rights reserved.
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For legal or tax advice, please consult an attorney. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to estate and income taxes apply to federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Where We Work
- Learn More
- Get Involved
- Give Now
- Leave a Legacy
- Become a Corporate Sponsor
- Attend or Host an Event
- Support Our Business Partners
- Travel with Us
- Work With Us